Monday, April 12, 2010

Sultan Lillaker IKEA Bed Slats Work-Around

Let me start by saying that I too am an IKEA victim. I fell head over heels for all things IKEA when we last changed residences. I was so infatuated with the "Presentation Show" that IKEA puts on that I abandoned all of my rational thoughts that make me the analytical planner that I am. Without a second thought and without any research I purchased our new furniture among which included an IKEA Malm Bed Frame and accompanying Sultan Lillaker Bed Slats. Due to my lack of research I did not find out until later (after return period lapsed) that the Lillaker Bed Slats had a minor flaw.

These bed slats after time slide off of the bed frame to the floor giving a rude awakening to those sleeping above. It became a scary task each night to climb into or out of bed out of fear that you would fall through again. I do not know what led to this flaw but I do have a solution. Maybe the engineers had a really big party the night before or maybe they used the same engineers responsible for the metric-imperial mix-up that crashed the Mars Climate Orbiter.

After trying a couple of quick fixes and searching forums online for solutions I found that the Lillaker Slats were not the only type experiencing this problem. I can only speak about the Lillaker Slats however, as those are the ones I purchased. I also learned that many were trying some inane solutions and attempting to pass them along to others. For example, one guy was trying to tell people to glue the slats to the bed frame. Another said that they attempted to drill the slats into the frame. I don't think that you have to be a rocket scientist to know that these acts of desperation will never work. People, take a moment to visualize the Lillaker bed slats and think about the purpose of bed slats. The slats are slightly curved and resemble a Leaf-Spring Automobile Suspension System. In-fact the slats function exactly in that manner and if you can understand that function you can then understand how those inane solutions will never work.



Slats like the Leaf-Spring are made to flex! Bolting slats to the bed frame will maybe stop the falling to the floor and some bad dreams but it will not be too supportive and may create wonderful back aches. Gluing the slats would produce similar results if the glue were a special SUPER ADHESIVE that could break the laws of physics and actually support the forces produced from the weight of the average adult.

When weight is applied to the slats they flex and as they flatten the length increases slightly thus pushing outward on the bed frame sides. The first part of the solution is to verify correct installation of the metal bracings which will help to prevent bending of the frame which can contribute to the slipping. The second part of the solution involves a bit of creativity. The slats for some reason were designed too short! There is too much space on the center metal beam that allows the slats to expand and slide inward thus allowing the outer edges of the slats to slide off and fall to the floor. We must add some sort of spacer that is hard enough to withstand the pressures but soft enough not to break the slats. The third part of the solution may or may not help solve the issue but it still should be noted. There are a few slats in the middle of the bed that require doubling up. This is to bring more support to where your body weight produces more downward forces. The instructions for the slats do not show specifically whether the smaller secondary slat should be mated to the top or bottom of the primary slat. The only picture for this step in a way suggests that the smaller secondary slat be mated to the bottom. If this was the intention of the picture then it has to be said that the engineers "screwed the pooch" on that one too! The smaller secondary slat should be on top! This is apparent if you study the photo of the leaf suspension system when mounted on a vehicle.







Step 1. Verify correct installation of metal bracings.




NOTE: If the screw is fastened in the other hole then the bracing will be free to expand in an outward direction which is what we do not want. The braces are intended to hold the sides of the bed frame in and keep them from expanding outward.







Step 2. Add a spacer between the two sets of slats on the metal mid-beam.





NOTE: The spacers I chose to use were leather belts.





Hopefully you have some old leather belts lying around. I cut the buckles off of mine and folded the belts in half because one layer was not enough spacer. I suppose you could also just run them full length but sandwich two together for more spacing. Be creative!

NOTE: I used three very long leather belts with buckles cut off. Depending on size of waist and size of bed you may need more or less than I did.





Step 3. Verifying correct orientation of Doubled Slats.

As stated above the smaller secondary slat must be on top which is not specifically shown in the instructions. The lackluster image shown in the assembly instruction booklet kinda sorta implies indirectly that you should have the smaller secondary slat on the bottom. As shown in the diagrams of the Leaf-Spring Suspension for automobiles the smaller secondary slat should be on top where the weight of the person is applied to it. Having this assembly corrected will not only support your body better but also will prevent these specific slats from flexing too much and pushing the side walls of the frame outward even more.






Hopefully this lengthy three step combination work-around will help and prevent you from having to scrap your new IKEA furniture. It worked for me and I am a big guy. It has now been two months since I did this work-around and the slats have not fallen once!! Good Luck! Any questions just let me know and I will try to assist!

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm currently having problems with my ikea bed slats (I have the slats that are not the sprung ones and so they are giving me incredible back pain). I was thinking about getting the ones that you talk about here but both my partner and I are big and I just wondered if you had an idea of what kind of weight they would sustain? Thanks for posting this blog, it's really helped me! Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks so much for posting this. It's very helpful. Here's little rif on what you did with the belts.
    I live near an Ikea Store so I went to theire returns dept. and told them what was happening. They said all they could do was give me a new set of braces. In my case it's only one side thats affected and when I took the slats off I found that my braces were bent.
    I installed the new braces and found an old belt. As I put the belt in I noticed that it was sticking above the slats. I looked around an saw the old braces. They fit perfectly!!
    So if' you're near an Ikea or can get your hands on a new set of braces, replace the old ones and slip them in between the slats as a space.
    Thanks again for posting and sleep well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali B,
    I am a big guy myself. I used to work out all the time but after my accident I ballooned up to 350 lbs. The slats are doing fine with my weight and even do fine with my wife on top of me. :)

    I have started to notice that the side beams are composed of two peices of wood laminated together and this laminate is starting to come undone due to the weight. It makes loud creaking noises with any motion. I may have to devise a solution for this and make a new post to the blog. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lifetodate,

    thanks for the story and the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a spacer, I went to Home Depot and bought a dowel rod. Slipped it in, works great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I hope it works for you! I recently had to scrap the bed! I would sit on the end of the bed in one corner alot to play my cherished Grand Theft Auto video game and since I am a large guy my weight actually over time bent and tore the metal center beam. In addition to that I was just fed up with the bed and all of these mods. I was done! IKEA is not for large people. LOL. Good Luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete